Monday, April 7, 2008

Romans 1.1

So I thought that since I made some annotations to Romans 2, I may as well do the same for Romans 1. I wanted to specifically highlight Romans 1:14-16, and make special note of Paul's three "I am..." statements.

"I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." - Romans 1:14-16

1. I am under obligation to preach the gospel. Concerning missions, John Piper stated, "Missions is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn't. Worship is ultimate, not missions, because God is ultimate, not man. When this age is over, and the countless millions of the redeemed fall on their faces before the throne of God, missions will be no more. It is a temporary necessity, But worship abides forever."
Let The Nations Be Glad by John Piper (p. 17) We are obliged to preach the gospel for the simple reason that there are people in this world who are not worshipping God. We, as Christians, must be fervently seeking God's glory among all the nations of the world.

2. I am eager to preach the gospel. What Good News has been presented to us we must not keep to ourselves. The appropriate Sunday school answer would say, "Imagine you had a cure for cancer which was free and in infinite supply. Would you keep it a secret?" I personally think this is a great analogy! :) We must be eager to spread the hope that is within us to the glory of the grace found in that great name which is above every name, that is Jesus Christ.

3. I am not ashamed to preach the gospel. The gospel of Christ is foolishness to those who are perishing, as is the cross of Christ, and to preach this is risky business. In fact, it was just as risky then as it is now. Paul was severely persecuted for the gospel of Christ. However, Paul held Christ as his treasure above any calculable value, and he was not afraid to display Christ (both through word and deed) to the glory of God the Father.

No comments: